Charles65ofboston Gets Cooking

Here I present a look into my kitchen. A place to share my culinary ups and downs as I constantly go "Off Script" and turn recipes into my very own!

Wednesday 19 October 2011

More Retro Autumn Cooking with Charles65ofboston!!!



Hello, My Retro Cooks!!

I wanted to say that now that we are in the Autumn days of the year...there still can be those gloomy days with no color at all....just kind of blah! It's raining here today....so I say....Get Cooking!!! Chase those blues away!!

The recipe today dates back to the 1980's and was a favorite of mine for many years before switching to being a vegetarian. This dish can be made with left-over chicken, turkey or Quorn. I use Quorn and the chicken-style pieces work a charm if defrosted before you begin. The version I fell in love with had one big alteration from the one I found to share with you. The "old" recipe I used to use had instant potato flakes( about half a cup) mixed in with the stuffing on top and you add one fresh egg for more moisture. This makes a super topping and always add more crumbled cheese on top if you do it the "old" way.







As for the cheese, use the traditional Swiss or tangy cheddar....or a low-fat style cheese of your liking. Also I use a cup of home-made white sauce instead of the soup mix...but any creamy tinned soup will work...try a variety and see which you prefer.

This dish is great for Sunday left-overs to become something tasty on Monday.
Also feel free to use a variety of stuffing mixes....have fun and pick one with retro style:-)

This dish is served best with whipped potato, cooked veg and a crisp salad. Gravy can be served on the side, too....try the new instant vegetarian gravies....very tasty indeed!

Enjoy....and get cooking!!!!


Charles:-)

charles65ofboston@yahoo.com

4 comments:

  1. Quorn is quite wonderful - I had quorn sausages in England a couple of years ago that were amazing, but you can't get them over here.

    I lived in Boston a long time ago and had a lot of fun exploring the downtown, Cambridge, and Davis Square where there were some really good secondhand stores. Am going to check out your retro Boston blog, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much!!!!! I hope can link up!!! Let me know and I can add your blogs to my links list:-)

    Enjoy!!!!

    Charles

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the George Washington Halloween costume! I miss those old vinyl get ups.
    I love casseroles like this--Stove Top Oven Bake is my fave.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting topic what you have shared with us. Your writing skill is really very appreciative. I love when you share your views through the best articles.Keep sharing and posting articles like these.This article has helped me a lot.Keep posting this stuff.
    San Diego Office & Modular Design

    ReplyDelete